Friday, October 23, 2009

Clinical Processes: A Death Sentence for ComD Majors

If you can make it through this class as UC, I'm convinced you could conquer anything in your path. Not that it's hard, it's just that BORING. You get to listen to all sorts of unexciting and old topics like:
  • Evidence-based practice (Dr. Fujiki beat this dead horse 4 semesters ago)
  • The ASHA Code of Ethics (No I would not like to spend another 80 mins. in class reviewing/navigating the ASHA website, I CAN DO THIS AT HOME FOR FREE)
  • Phonemic awareness (I know that letters represent sounds- this is kindergarten material)
  • Civility and being an ethical professional (Don't parent's teach this???)
  • Counseling and acquiring listening skills (see above parenthetical comment)
  • Grad school application tips (I'd rather dig holes than to listen to another person tell me how to fill out an application and review the importance of the GRE- I am not disordered...maybe they forget this seemingly insignificant fact)
  • APA referencing (Seriously? We need to review this? Isn't that the purpose of English 101?)
  • Cultural diversity (Oh... you mean there are people different than me? I HADN'T NOTICED)

Yeah, I paid a lot of money to sit in class and realize that my BYU professors were actually teaching me things (and even more impressed that I remembered them through the hardest months of my life!). This, coupled with the gratitude for what little patience I have acquired, keeps my interest focused on ComD.

3 comments:

  1. So sorry!! Wish you could have taken it with us- at least we had each other! Shari's comments were always entertaining!! :)
    I just heard that the master's program has a whole class on paper work. How fun is that, huh?!! (My break from school is not going to be long enough)!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i hear ya! i'm sick of hearing about EPB. really? you should practice based on evidence? that's counter intuitive....

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow...yeah...you would have enjoyed that class far more with us. I wish i could come hang out with you during the class and make fun of...uh...stuff :)

    and emily...a class on paperwork? Seriously...no way...

    i don't wanna go back to school without you guys.

    ReplyDelete