Wednesday, July 29, 2009

the guinea pig

Basically I've turned Scott into me when I was younger. And what's stranger, I've become a 45yr old man!

I hated sitting at the table in anticipation when I was younger- wanting to know if we were having "normal" food, or my dad's latest experiment. I always felt like we were his test subjects in the kitchen lab. I wanted the everyday spaghetti or chicken and rice dinners that my friends seemed to get- or more- fast food! That was a rarity in our house.

Now, I seem to have become "the scientist". I quite like trying new things. I've yet to make something non-edible, but still I can't get over the fact that no matter how hard I try... I just can't follow a recipe.

I also don't like the fact that this saying is true- "The apple never falls far from the tree". I always pictured my family tree on a vast hill where I could tumble as far away as necessary. I'm not saying that I think it's a bad thing my dad concocted every dinner we ever ate, but now I've got the bad habit of mixing what I think tastes good together, and I never writing it down. I don't feel like Scott gets mad a lot, but I think he's frustrated when I can never duplicate a meal. Oh well.....

Tonight we're having homemade tortillas (because I forgot to buy them at the store) and chicken enchiladas. I already can't remember how I made the Spanish rice.... oh me!

3 comments:

  1. Dinner sounds delicious! I know what you mean about not following a recipe. I always end up changing something. And then when I asked my mom how she makes something (she never uses a recipe) and she tells me to use a certain spice, I asked how much, and her answer was "oh I don't know, about 3 shakes?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally hear ya about the apple. I've realized though perhaps it doesn't fall far... it can still roll off the hill and be made into pie. (Maybe even a pie without a recipe! Ha ;0) I like to think that only the tasty parts of the original apple make it into the pie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dont feel sorry for Scott at all... I miss your food!! How fun to just be creative and make something new... besides the best food I've ever had usually was made without a recipe! Sounds like things are going good for you guys... congrats on the new car and have fun in Ohio!

    ReplyDelete