Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Productivity...well, kinda

In order to prohibit myself from aimlessly facebooking hours on end each day while waiting for phone calls that last under 45 secs, I decided to get a library card. It took me 20 min to find a piece of mail with our address on it, and I was off! Since "borrowing" the June Ensign and reading it multiple times, I've been a little more than impressed at the caliber of articles in it. Maybe it's just because I'm getting older, maybe I'm coming to understand the necessity of living apostles and prophets, or maybe I'm feel a little guilty- whatever the reason may be, the magazine seems to hit me hard whenever I read it. One article from this last month's issue has really stuck to me and I've heard the call to repentance- Elder Callister's "Our Refined Heavenly Home". WOW! (Kinda wish I could keep him in my pocket and ask him the mysteries of the kingdom....) His ideas on language really made me stop and think about how I express myself and what I can do to improve. I felt like he was looking into my life and seeing all the areas that could use a good spring cleaning. I didn't need any more motivation for going to the library.

It smelled bad. The Library that is. Like wet, mossy, mildewy stone. Yuck. But there is free entertainment, so I continued. I picked up a few books that were recommend by friends (mainly my bookworm cohort in San Diego- an 11 yr old girl! sad.. I know.) and had to get out of there because I was getting a headache from the stench. 6 books later, I find myself attached to the computer again just to blog about my trip. Geesh, better get to reading.

3 comments:

  1. What books did you get? Now that I'm not consumed by school work all the time I'd really like to get back into reading for fun but I can't seem to find anything that looks that good. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. what exactly does geesh mean? and how is that pronounced if you were to write it in IPA?

    ReplyDelete
  3. [giS] is what i'm thinking :) love your library motivation! once i get house set up, i'm going to sit down to a good book every evening after dinner i think. That just sounds DEVINE!!!!!

    ReplyDelete