Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Full Time Life


Next week should be a grand adventure.... Our friends have decided to pack up and head back home to Utah. Due to this, I will inherit the babysitting job Ashley would've had for the next 3 weeks- 2 kids. One of the other reps gets his kids for a few weeks in the summer and asked me if I would watch them while he's out selling. He started, "Ally- Do you like kids??" and I knew what he wanted. "Okay, I'll watch them..." .To add more stress to my life- the other girl that works in the office is going home to visit for Fourth of July (apparently it's a week-long holiday) which means I have office duty AND toddler duty. How will I balance all my responsibilities? With a lot of patience (and chocolate).


And I keep telling myself-atleast this isn't as bad as the time I was a house cleaner for a woman in Pleasant Grove- She wanted me to babysit for her 6 kids under 12yrs old for an entire 2 week period. (Luckily they took the newborn with them, I'm not sure I could've done 7 kids...) Oh my goodness... did I ever learn more than I wanted to that time!!!! Her youngest, Levi, broke his leg jumping on their trampoline the day before the parents left on their trip. It was in the middle of fall semester- so I still had classes (and exams), and all of the sudden I had a 2 yr old to carry around because he couldn't walk on his leg. What's more is, overnight, I got 6 extra mouths to feed, shower, take to karate, gymnastics and a optometry visit. It was their family's turn for the carpool (of course) so I had 8 kids to carpool in a 12 passenger van (can you imagine ME driving that monster??? yeah, it was hilarious) to and from a charter school. Plus this family had a very strict routine of scriptures, naps, prayers, homework, bedtime, etc. that my life was planned out almost to the very second. Looking back I don't remember how I survived those 2 weeks. Nicole most likely helped me maintain my sanity......
3 weeks by the pool with kids that can already swim and love vegetables? Piece of cake! mmm.. cake

9 comments:

  1. mmmm....cake.

    Please tell me you got paid well. I think that experience would have cured me of ever wanting kids. I babysat my sister's 4 kids (you know, the crazy ones) for a week, and everyone kept telling me "remember, they come one at a time and they come out small". Haha. Good luck girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember... and shudder... you were super busy, I don't think we saw you except in the afternoons for like two seconds... Nicole did help a lot, I remember, and I remember you took me to their house once, when you had to clean, not watch kids.
    I don't think they paid you enough, but hey, it was good practice giving service too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ally you're hilarious! I think of you almost daily when I'm at work because I know you would remember everything from school and I definitely do not :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh sorry...it's cristina, houston didn't sign out of his email...dumb

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HA!! I don't think I would remember much of the speech aspect of our major because I slept through most of those classes! I can only remember the vowel quad/ consonant grid and some of the artic and phonological disorders.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm, I don't know how Moms who birth their many children and thus have years learning to manage them all do it. Getting them all at once is an entirely different story! Good luck! You'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha I remember those days- it was always fun trying to help you keep your sanity.

    P.S. I need you back in Utah to help me keep MY sanity! I miss you guys :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Does that mean that you've learned enough that you don't want to do it again? Because I know of some really cute (and active) kids...about four of them, actually, whose parents hardly ever get out. Lucky you moved when you did!!! Have fun babysitting!

    ReplyDelete