Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Kitchen lesson #1678457


Untidy kitchen+tired wife+hunger pangs+ sticky mess= divine satisfaction. How? Let me tell you:


This last Sunday was rather revealing. We decided to have pizza for dinner... so I got all the ingredients out and realized there wasn't enough room to breathe in the kitchen. Could it be the fact that I was cooking 6 things at once to put on our pizzas and feed an hungry Scott immediately after we returned from church? Most definitely so. After throwing a tantrum to get Scott to wash the dishes(even though we have a dishwasher here, he still prefers to wash them by hand) and help clean up a bit, I started "creating" my meal. President Utchdorf said last RS broadcast that "the desire to create is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul." I agree, and add to it that this desire also comes from hungry tummies... especially since I convinced myself and Scott that this was fast Sunday, so we fasted. It was a shock to me in Sacrament mtg when the Maize ward had a program organized... and I thought for a minute, perhaps the ward pushed back testimony mtg because they are moving to another building next week?? Then I thought, perhaps May has 31 days...


Anyway, I got to creating after my fit of fury and just after rolling out the dough to the perfect pan width, it stuck to my pastry cloth. (Is that normal Mary?) I was so upset! 1. because I despise doughy hands, and unsticking the pizza dough necessitated hands on help and 2. because I was STARVING from false fasting. Argg... anyway, I took my frustrations out on the poor dough and pounded it for a solid 3 mintues. I was sure this was the end of my pizza making. I finally got everything together for the first pizza- chickien alfredo- threw it in the oven and hoped it would burn so I could swear off cooking for the next week. I prepared the next pizza (1/2 pepperoni and olive, 1/2 left-over sweet pork), apologized to Scott for my bad behavior, and it was time for the disaster to come out of the oven.


Well, much to our amazement, it was a masterpiece! It looked so tasty the next problem was that it looked too good to eat. The dough was perfect- fluffy and golden brown... maybe I'll continue releasing my suppressed feelings on my baking more often. Scott even ate the olives.

5 comments:

  1. I never can cook without having a clean kitchen first. It's kinda annoying but always helpful. My bread dough often sticks to my pastry cloth... then I end up adding more flower. One day I will sprinkle the right amount to start with. I'm sure Mary's got that down to a science now. You are NOT the only one who pounds out frustrations on dough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Can I have kitchen lesson #274637?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A master piece indeed! It looks so good that even with how much I hate, and I mean hate, olives I still would have been tempted to eat them... but only tempted, which is a pretty big step for me!! :) Guess you never know when things are going to turn out for the very best! (I miss your good cooking, by the way!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ally, your recipes always come out good no matter what you do. It must be the culinary genes you got from your dad... Luckily I have a kitchen wizard: the Thermomix TM31. It's awesome, because it cooks and stirs the food for you, while you chase a little girl around the house and/or clean the dishes.
    Speaking of which, be grateful you have a dishwasher, because mine is called the Rachel&JorgeByHand 2009!

    ReplyDelete
  5. well... Scott still prefers to wash the dishes by hand... I think it's the thrifty gene in him.

    ReplyDelete